Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall Accident

The Occupier’s Liability Act states that the occupier of a site owes a reasonable duty of care to those who come onto the premises. If this duty of care is breached and someone is injured, there could be grounds for a personal injury claim.

If this has happened to you or your loved one, here’s what you need to do.

What to do after a slip and fall accident

If you are involved in a slip and fall accident, we recommend that you:

Get medical attention

Firstly, get medical attention. Your health is always the priority. Even if you don’t feel like you’ve hurt yourself, shock may be masking the true extent of your injuries. Visit an emergency unit if you hit your head or you need urgent medical care. Otherwise, make an appointment with your family doctor.

Report the accident

Once you have sought the appropriate medical attention, be sure to report the accident to the owner or occupier of the premises. Ask them to document what happened to you, including your name, the date of the accident and the way in which the accident occurred. If you’re not confident that this has been done, write it out in an email and ask for confirmation of receipt.

Take photographs

Take photographs of the scene of the accident. If you fell over a particular object or obstacle, place a ruler next to it to provide a sense of perspective. Ideally, these photos will be taken straight after you hurt yourself – before any evidence is removed. You can always return at a later date, but there is a risk that the scene won’t look exactly the same.

Speak to witnesses

If anyone saw your accident, get their names and contact details. This will be easy if you were with people you know. If not, you’ll need to approach any witnesses in the immediate aftermath of the accident. Don’t worry if you forget: it may be possible to ask witnesses to come forward later on.

Make your own record

As soon as you’re able, write your own record of the accident. Write down all the details you can remember – even if they seem incidental. This includes the date, the time, the location, the weather and what you were wearing. Also record how the accident unfolded and the injuries that you sustained.

Keep receipts

If you spend any money because of your accident, then be sure to keep the receipts. This might include expenses spent on medication or travel to see a doctor. Also write down what money you have lost due to your injuries, such as lost earnings, overtime, or bonuses. It could be possible to reclaim all these losses.

Contact our personal injury lawyers

Next, contact our Vancouver personal injury lawyers. We specialise in slip and fall claims and can help you understand your legal position. We will advise if you have grounds to make a claim. This claim would made against the person, organisation or authority responsible for maintaining the area in which you were injured.

Do not accept a compensation settlement without legal advice

The insurance company who represents the party at fault may also realise that you’re entitled to compensation. If so, the insurer may contact you, offering an early settlement of your claim. Do not agree to anything without seeking independent legal advice first. You are likely entitled to a much greater sum of compensation than the one on offer.

Slip and fall claims

If you have slipped and fallen through no fault of your own, then you could be in a position to bring a personal injury claim. This would see that you are properly compensated for the damage that has been caused.

Although you might not be considering legal action right now, you might change your mind in the not-too-distant future. You might find that your injuries are not as minor as you initially thought, and this may have a long-term impact on your physical, emotional and financial health. It is therefore better to protect your position and follow the advice outlined above. This ensures that you keep your options open, allowing you to pursue legal action, should you want to.

Contact our Vancouver personal injury lawyers for expert legal advice. Either fill in the free online enquiry form or call us on 604 684 0040.

Go back to Blog
Go Back To Top